A while ago I posted about this den I made for the girls bunk bed for Christmas…they have loved playing in it and the hours that are spent at bed time cosied in with the twinkly lights on inside made all the hours so worthwhile!
As it was done quite last minute I didn’t take any photos of the process but I thought I’d share a bit about how i did it.
I used an Ikea duvet cover that had been reduced, it gave an inner and outer sleeve which meant I didn’t have to do any lining. I also used a lot of scrap fabric I had for the window, curtains and flowers. I cut these out and decided where I was going to place each piece.
I love doing free embroidery and used this on a lot of the appliqué..the impressions of wooden planks and knots on the door and on the flower and leaves.
I cut out the shape for the door, sewed it onto the main background piece and added the lintel on top…this covered any stitches that might be seen.
When all the details had been stitched on I sewed a piece of velcro along the full length of the fabric at the top.
The other piece of velcro was staple gunned onto the inside of the bunk bed so that it can be put up and pulled down by the girls as they wish.
I really loved sewing this and more than anything have loved watching the girls play in it. It creates another little play space in our house, a little nook where they can cosy, read and dream.
It’s definitely a keeper, one of those things in our house that will be folded and kept long after they have grown too big for their bunk beds.